On Plaça Pío XII, and built by orders of King Alfonso III of Aragón, conqueror of the Island (1287), on an ancient Moorish mosque, the Cathedral is in the Catalan Gothic style of the 14th century, although it still retains the old minaret of the earlier mosque. The cathedral features some detailed architecture, stone carvings of strange, mythical creatures and a Neo-Gothic canopy that hangs high above the main altar. The exterior features a large collection of gargoyles. It is quite fortresslike in appearance. The facade of the church, in the neoclassical style, was added in 1813. The church suffered heavy damage in 1936, during the Spanish Civil War, but has since been restored.