Architect: Diogo de Boytaca / Joao de Castilho
Parallel to the bank of the Tagus and measuring almost 300m, stands one of Portugal’s most famous buildings, the former Hieronymite Convent. The convent complex originally stood on the water’s edge but a gradual shift of the river combined with the building of the harbor basin have meant that it is now some distance from the river.
The construction of the Manueline building was begun around 1502 following the plans of Diogo de Boytaca, between 1517 and 1522 the detailed work was carried out under the direction of Joao de Castilho and the high choir was only completed in 1571 thus belonging to the Renaissance. The more than 182m long western part of the convent complex, in which the maritime museum and the archeological museum are housed, was rebuilt and partly restored at the end of the 19th century.