1726 – St. Anne’s, Shandon, Cork

shandon_tower_lge

shandon_tower_detail_lge

St. Anne’s in Shandon is known more for its bells than the structure that houses them, due to the famous song “The Bells of Shandon” written by Francis Sylvester Mahony. It is a prominent landmark in the city being sited on top of a hillside overlooking the river Lee. The church was built in 1726 on the site of an earlier church, which had been destroyed during in 1690. Two of the sides of the tower are of limestone and two of sandstone, creating an unusual effect as you walk around the building. The stepped stages on top of the tower, the final stage with a dome, give the church its distinctive appearance. The large weather vane on top is in the form of a gold fish.

Latest News

September 26, 2016: ‘Sustaining the Industrial Heritage” – Annual Maura Shaffrey Memorial Lecture
September 22, 2016: Open House Cork looking for volunteers
September 21, 2016: ‘Building Ireland’ return to RTE, September 30


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com