1755 – Misericordia Church and Hospital, Faro, Portugal

Architect: Francisco Xavier Fabri


The church. with its adjoining hospital, was built at the end of the 16th century at the instigation of Bishop Afonso Castelo Branco, over the old Manueline Espirito Santo (Holy Spirit) chapel and hospital. It is the only church in the Algarve built in the form of a Greek cross to a plan that is believed to have been the work of an architect from Lisbon. The earthquake of 1755 caused extensive damage, prompting bishop Francisco Gomes to renovate the facade and build a new hospital (1795-1815) to a design by the Italian architect Francisco Xavier Fabri, who was also responsible for the Arco da Vila on the other side of the square.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com