Architect: James Stuart
The Temple of the Winds, James “˜Athenian’ Stuart’s banqueting hall of 1785, overlooks Strangford Lough. It had small viewing balconies, instead of porticos, to take advantage of views. The interior was correspondingly ornate, with an elegant main room with a finely patterned inlaid floor, approached by a domed stairwell. Robert Stewart, later 1st Marquis of Londonderry, was the commissioning client.