1809 – Nelson’s Pillar, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: William Wilkins




Predating London’s Nelson Column by almost 30 years, Nelson’s Pillar was a 36.8m tall column with a 3.9m tall statue by Thomas Kirk in Portland Stone at the top. At construction it was the tallest Doric column in the world, contained a viewing gallery at the top, accessed via 168 spiral steps to a platform which gave a bird’s-eye view of the city. The diameter of the column was 13 ft at the bottom and 10 ft at the top.

It was blown up by the IRA on the 8th March 1966 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising. Two days after the original damage, engineers from the Irish Army blew up the remainder of the pillar, causing more destruction on O’Connell Street than the original blast.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com