1818 – City Observatory, Calton Hill, Edinburgh
The third design for this Observatory, the original building (centre of photograph) is a small cruciform classical temple with a central telescope and dome. The architect William Playfair acquired the commission through the efforts of his uncle, Professor Playfair. Upon his dead, the architect erected a cenotaph on the corner of the observatory wall. This was modelled on the 1st Century tomb of Theron at Cnidos.