Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1819 – Shelton Abbey, Arklow, Co. Wicklow

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone
Architect: Sir Richard Morrison

shelton_abbey

039

The ancestral seat of the Earls of Wicklow was the palatial Shelton Abbey, near Arklow, County Wicklow, which remained in the family until 1951. Detached eleven-bay two storey former mansion, built in 1770 but remodelled in gothic style to designs by Sir Richard Morrison in 1819. Lavishly embellished with reducing buttresses with tall pinnacles. Currently in use as a prison.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

Read previous post:
1860 – St. Joseph’s Church, Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow

Architect: John Bourke Designed by John Bourke around 1860, this is a fine gothic revival church with a symmetrical composition....

Close