1835 – Courthouse, Berrima, New South Wales
The facade consists of four Doric columns with classic Greek bases and capitals. Above is a stone architrave of three courses, the topmost of which protrudes to form the base of the Greek triangular pediment. The entrance doorway is deliberately overwhelming, and designed to instill awe into the visitor, as are the columns and the four tall pilasters on the facade.
This central two-storey construction houses the courtroom itself, the similarly tall internal dimensions adding to the grandeur and majesty of the court. Adjoining the courtroom are two single storey wings, which house the juror’s rooms – petty jurors and female cell on the right, grand jurors and male cell on the left.