Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1844 – Tolbooth St John’s, Edinburgh

Architects: J. Gillespie Graham / Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin


A large Gothic church both in architectural style and for its dark brooding presence. A collaboration between local architect J Gillespie Graham and the celebrated Gothic master A W N Pugin, the church is now in use as an information centre. It has a fine soaring steeple – 74 metres in height on an already elevated site, so providing one of the visual landmarks on the city skyline.

Read previous post:
1835 – St Mark’s Unitarian Church, Edinburgh

Architect: David Bryce A fine facade with tall roundheaded windows masks a good galleried interior with cast iron columns.