Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1847 – The Dome, Edinburgh

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone
Architect: David Rhind

the_dome_lge

dome_interior_lge

dome_interior_lge

dome_interior_hallway_lge

Formerly a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland, and now a bar, The Dome has a impressive sequence of interior spaces. A large hallway leads via a short passage into a tall square stairwell. This stairwell is toplit and contains a balcony level, decorative plasterwork and ionic columns. Walking through this space, the customer was funelled through a short, small corridor and into the main banking hall – a fabulous interior space with a fine dome.

The dome is punctured to allow natural light into the space and is ‘supported’ by corinthian philasters around the walls. A decorative mosaic floor can also be seen. Its conversion into a bar has been carried out quite sensitively with a central bar counter inserted.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

Read previous post:
1846 – Scott Memorial, Edinburgh

Architect: George Kemp The Scott Monument was build between 1840-46 as a memorial to the writer Sir Walter Scott (1771...

Close