Architect: G.W. Hemans
The bridge, which is 542 ft. long, was designed by G.W. Hemans, and built with an opening central span to accommodate the tall superstructures of sailing craft. It was built in 1850 to bring the railway to the west. Up to the mid 1930′s the central span was opened twice a year to accommodate yachts taking part in the regatta on Lough Ree.