Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
mythumbnail

1855 – St. Aidan’s Cathedral, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin

enniscorthy-church_lge

enniscorthy-church3_lgeenniscorthy-church3_lgeenniscorthy-church3_lgeenniscorthy-church3_lgeenniscorthy-church7

enniscorthy-church7

A monumental cathedral, the largest building in Ireland to designs prepared by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-52) reputedly based on Tintern Abbey in Wales. Due to fears of potential collapse, the tower and spire were rebuilt under the supervision of J.J. McCarthy (1817-82) but retain the Pugin-defined profile.

Constructed in dressed local stone (including stone from the nearby ruined Franciscan Friary salvaged in 1843-7) with carved granite accents, it is quite an austere exterior. The interior contains stained glass panels by Lobin of Tours, Mayer of Munich, and Earley of Dublin, a pipe organ supplied by White and Son, Dublin, an altar signed by James Pearse (1839-1900) and Edmund Sharpe (1853-1930) of Dublin.