The Dawson Monument was built to commemorate Colonel Dawson – a local landowner who died at the battle of Inkerman in 1854. A tall obelisk designed by W.J. Barre of Newry, the design was originally intended for Scrabo Hill as a memorial for Lord Londonderry but the commission was awarded to Charles Lanyon instead. The stele of the obelisk has the words Alma and Inkerman inscribed some way up. Damaged by a bomb in 1974 and by heavy traffic since, the obelisk is in need of stabilisation – a steel band has recently been placed around the top part to keep the stones together.