1862 – Manchester and Salford Bank, Lancashire
From The Building News, September 19, 1862: The engraving on the opposite side represents the Manchester and Salford Bank which is just being erected. Tho frontage in Mosley Street, as seen in the engraving, is 114 feet; the side, in York-street, has six windows, and is 78 feet; height of building 09 feet; total area about 950 superficial yards. The whole is executed in Yorkshire stone; string course under bank windows is of granite, and the door, 16 feet by 8 feet, has jambs of polished granite. Tho bankproper is 83 feet by 49 feet, exclusive of entrances and private rooms, and clear height 27 feet; windows of bank, 17 feet by 7 feet, with descending wronght-iron shutters in one sheet. There are ten columns in the interior 2 feet diameter, on which are wrought-iron girders 3 feet deep supporting the interior walls of first floor, on which is arranged .the board-room, 46 feet by 82 feet, with octagonal ceiling aud circular top light. Other parts of this floor, and the upper floor, are devoted to private apartments for the sub-manager residing on the premises. The plan of the building has been arranged by William Langton, Esq., the present manager, and is most complete in every respect. The treasuries, voucher-room, hydraulic hoist for books, bullion, &c., arc in the basement, the whole of which is fire-proof, as also the bank ground-floor. The cost of the building, exclusive of the land, is about £25,000. The bank is detached from tho adjoining buildings in Mosley Street, which adds much to its importance. The building was opened for business on the 15th of August. Tho masonry and brickwork were contracted for by Messrs. J. and H. Patterson; the ironwork by Messrs. E. T. Bollhouse and Co.; and the rest of the work by Messrs. Bowden, Edwards, and Forster.