Architect: T.M. Penson
From The Building News, January 17, 1862: This building illustrated in our present Number is approached by a covered arcade from the station. It is built of red brick with Portland cement dressings the roof is covered with Bangor slates. The interior accommodation consists of upwards of one hundred bed rooms with coffee rooms and private sitting rooms arranged on the ground and the one pair floor. The total cost was about 15,000. It was executed from a design by Mr T.M. Penson. A portion of the building was destroyed by fire in December last and is being rapidly restored by Messrs Clark and Jones of Manchester under the direction of Messrs Cornelius Sherlock and Penson.