Designed by E.W. Pugin & G.C. Ashlin in 1866, opened in 1872, but the church was not finally completed until 1881 when the spire was finished. Built out of local stone with Bath stone dressings.
“Our illustration this number is a lithographic sketch of a new Catholic Church to be built at Monkstown, County Cork. As may be seen from the view the site is on the side of a steep hill, and the architects have judiciously placed the church sideways to the incline, and the tower has been placed at the lower side with considerable judgment. The church consists of nave, chancel, transepts, tower, sacristy, &c. The transepts are divided from the nave by two arches, at either side supported by a marble shaft, with moulded cap and base. The cost of this church will be about £3,000, exclusive of upper portion of tower and spire. The architects who supplied the design, and under whose superintendence the work will be carried out, are Messrs. Pugin and Ashlin, of Dublin.” Published in Irish Builder, Vol. IX, 1867.