Built in 1870, the original five-story building was built for the insurance company Great Scottish Life Insurance. In 1909, the building was extended by two stories by architects Marchand & Haskell. Although vastly increasing the space within, they maintained the balance of the original architectural elements. On November 7, 1975 the building was classified by the provincial government as historical. It was officially recognized for its exceptional design and execution. Now the building houses Hôtel Place D’Armes, a boutique hotel.