The Roman Catholic church, St Mary of the Angels was designed by the leading church architect J.J. McCarthy who unfortunately died before it was completed in 1881. The plans were originally published in 1871 but that design was heavily altered. Money originally intended for a tower and spire was then used to provide a Presbytery and other accommodation. His son C.J. McCarthy was later Dublin City Architect and designed the corporation housing built across the street.