Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1873 – Bettws -Y- Coed Church, Wales

Architect: Paley & Austin

0025.jpg

Perspective including ground plan as published in The Building News, July 4th 1873: “One of our lithographic illustrations this week represents a very interesting little church just erected at Bettws-y-Coed, North Wales. Tho facing of walls, inside and out, is of local rock. The chancel walls internally are faced with red Runcorn stone. Tho whole of tho dressings and the groining of the tower and chancel are of red Runcorn stone. Tho heating is by Bonnet, of Liverpool. Tho roofs and seats are of pitch pine. The pulpit and choir fittings are temporary. The tower is at present only built to tho level of tho ridge of tho chancel roof, and temporarily roofed over. Tho font (made from the architects’ design) is of Serpentine marble, manufactured by Mr. Bradbury, of Penzance. The paving of tho nave and aisles and vestry is of small yellow clinkers; that of the chancel is of Godwin’s tiles. The carving is by Mr. Roddis, of Birmingham. The height from nave floor to ridge is 46ft., to the tower groining 38ft, to tho top of tower parapet, when completed, 70ft., or 77ft. (about) from the ground. Height from nave floor line to chancel groin 3lft , to nave cornice 26ft., nave ridge 46ft. The cost, up to tho present time, has boon about 4,000. Messrs. Paley and Austin, of Lancaster, were the architects, and Messrs. 0. and 0. Jones, of Penmachno, were tho contractors.”