1872 – Church of St. Peters, Oughtrington, Cheshire
Still in use as a parish church today. A five-bay nave with a clerestory, north and south aisles, an apsidal chancel, a south vestry, a south porch and a northeast tower with a spire. At the west end is a rose window above four lancet windows. The tower has a square base over which is an octagonal belfry surrounded by pinnacles, and a stone spire. The church is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.
Perspective published in The Building News, July 18th 1873. “Tho church is designed to hold 450 persons, and stands on a commanding site, on the range of hills between Lymm and Stockport — as will be seen by reference. The plan consists of nave and aisles, chancel, N.E. tower, and vestries. The material for tho walls is the local Sandstone, which is used for tho facing internally as well as for the exterior. The string-courses, plinths, labels, vaulting and window-shafts, arcade-caps and bases, etc, are of red Runcorn stone ; the window tracery, columns, &c., are of Hollington stone. The chancel is groined with ribs of Hollington stone, with filling-in of local Runcorn redstone. The marble and alabaster font and pulpit are executed by Mr. Forsyth; tho iron- work, gasfittings, &c., are by Mr. Leaver: and the organ by Messrs. Hill. The architects are Mr. R. Herbert Carpenter and the late Mr. William Slater.”