Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1873 – Schools, Hunslet, Leeds, Yorkshire

Architect: Adams & Kelly

0050

From The Building News, September 12 1873: “These schools are .at present being erected for the Leeds School Board, under the superintendence of Messrs. Adams and Kelly, architects, S. Andrew’s Chambers, Park-row, Leeds. The design was selected in a limited competition prior to Mr. Adams being appointed as architect to the Board. The plan comprises infants’ school in the centre, with girls’ and boys’ school at each side. Each department has three large classrooms, fitted up with galleries. Each school has a covered playground, with separate out-offices, and the site is inclosed with iron palisading, and dwarf walls. The materials used are brick ; the facing to the principal fronts being in best hanit-pressed bricks, and relieved with brick strings and Labels. The several gables are filled-iu with ornamental brickwork, and covered with stone coping. The windows have stone menials and heads. The roofs have wrought and framed principals, and purlins plastered on the underside of rafters. The walls inside are plastered within 4ft. 6in. of floor, which space is covered with V-jointed boarding, with moulded capping and base. Accommodation is provided for upwards of 700 children, and the total cost is £4,827. The following are the several contractors: — Bricklayer and mason. Mr. Edwin Boothman; carpenter and joiner, Mr. Wm. Briton; slater, Mr. Rawlins; plumber and glazier, Mr. Thomtis Story; plasterer, Mr. W. Garlick ; painter, Mr. W. Gusdale ; ironfounder, Messrs. Heaps and Robinson ; all of Leeds.”