Architect: Joseph Hansom & Son
The Cathedral, originally known as the Church of St. Philip Neal, was commissioned by Henry XV Duke of Norfolk in 1868 and was opened on 1st of July 1873. The architect was Joseph Hansom, inventor of the Hansom Cab. The architectural style of the cathedral is French Gothic, a style that would have been popular between 1300 and 1400 – the period in which the Howards and the Dukes of Norfolk rose to national prominence in England. It was created a Cathedral in 1965 and its dedication was changed to Our Lady and St. Philip Howard in October 1970.
The tower and spire intended were never completed. Images as published in The Builder, January 20th 1872.