Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
mythumbnail

1874 – Church of St. Saviour, Mortomley, Yorkshire

Architect: James Brooks

0001

Perspective view of Church of St. Saviour including ground plan as published in The Building News, July 10th 1874: “The design for this church was selected in a limited competition, the several competitors being local architects, with the exception of Mr. Brooks. A professional referee, whose decision was final, adjudicated the award. It has been erected as a chapel of ease to the parish church, by public subscription, in memory of Parkin Jeffcock, Esq., C.E., who lost his life in the Oaks colliery disaster, having ventured into the mine with the purpose of rendering assistance to others. The cost of the building was about £1,800. Seats are provided for 250 worshippers. The walling stone, inside and out, is from Woodenbridgo, near Manchester; the courses run in thickness from two to three inches. The columns, arches, quoins, caps, and bases, are of a beautiful hard stone from tho Greenside quarries, and are finished with an irregularly-tooled face. The roof is constructed of fir, and the bellcot is arranged to accommodate four bells. The seat benches are of deal. The windows will form, when complete, a regular scheme of painted glass, illustrating incidents of Parkin Jeffcock’s life. Those already executed are by Messrs. Clayton and Bell, from the architect’s designs. The builders were Messrs. Longmire and Burge, of London. The site was given for tho church by Parkin Jeffcock’s father. We congratulate Mr. Brooks on the characteristic suitability of this interesting work. “