Architect: Giles & Gane
One of the shortlisted designs for a new school for the Grocers Company. As part of the Company’s work, a school was founded in Hackney, east London, in 1876 for the sons of middle class gentlemen. The school designed by Theophilus Allen, was later handed over to the London County Council and changed its name to Hackney Downs School; it closed in 1995. Published in The Building News, 5 June 1874.
“Messrs. Giles and Gane’s design was submitted under the motto of “Pro Re Nata.” It was proposed to be built of stock bricks, with Farleigh Down Red Bed stone for all dressings. The ground-floor was designed for art and science classrooms, masters’ and secretary’s rooms, and large vestibules. The first and second floors would have been devoted to classrooms alone, the kitchens and other offices being at the back. The estimated cost was £11,863. The authors of the design were Messrs. Giles and Gane, of Furnival’s Inn, KG. “