Architect: Batterbury & Huxley
From The Architect, December 18, 1875: The illustration shows the front view of a house of an extremely simple character, lately erected in Steele’s Road, Haverstock Hill, for Mr. Edwin Hates, a well-known painter of marine subjects.
Red bricks from Maidenhead have been used for all external elevations. All the arches are cut and rubbed, those to ground and first floor openings being slightly incised. All the elevations are of the same character. The roofs are covered with selected old tiles; the coves to eaves are of Portland cement. The coping to the walls are of red burnt clay, and were made by Mr. Cooper, of Maidenhead.
The works have been carried out by Messrs. J. Linzell & Son, builders of Tottenham, at a cost of about 2.000/., from the plans and under the superintendence of Messrs. Batterbury & Huxley,, Architects, of 25 Great James Street, Bedford Row, W.C.