From The Architect, November 13, 1875:This cottage residence has been recently erected upon a site in Church Road, Upper Norwood, for Mr. James Franks. The accommodation was especially arranged to suit the requirements of the owner. The brickwork is executed in dark-coloured stock bricks, relieved with bands and arches of blue and red bricks. The roof is covered with tiles. Internally the joiners’ work is stained and varnished, and effect is gained by the arrangement and finishing of the entrance hall and staircase, which is executed in pitch pine. Mr. Charles Wright, a local builder, has carried out the work, from the designs and under the superintendence of Mr. Sextus Dyball, 35 Bucklersbury, London.