1875 – New Vestries, Choir Schools, Well Street, London
From The Architect, December 25, 1875: We give a north-east view of the above building, which has recently been erected at a cost of G.OCXU, from the designs and under the superintendence of Mr. E.C. Robins, of 16 Southampton Street, Strand, Surveyor to the Berners Estate. It consists of four storeys, the topmost being devoted to the choir school and class-rooms. The first-floor is a residence for the clergy.
The ground-floor contains””the large parish vestry, the vicar’s, the curate’s, the choir-men and choir-boys vestries and library, with corridor connecting the building with the north-west porch of the church in Well Street.
The basement is entirely appropriated for the choir practice hall, and is 66 feet long by 2’2 broad,’ and is divided down the middle by a row of stone columns with carved caps, which with the corresponding corbels next walls sustain the groined roof. Both basement and ground-floor are paved with wood blocks. Selenitic plaster has been used for tho walls’ surfaces with Keen cement dados. The buildi ng is faced with white gault bricks, with Bath stone dressing. It is warmed and ventilated by means of flues for the entrance and exit of warmed air. Low-pressure hot-water pipes are arranged in a keatin g chamber parallel with the practice hall. *
Messrs. Bangs & Co., of Bow, were the contractors.