1875 – United Institute for the Industrious and Indigent, Leeds, Yorkshire
From The Architect, January 9, 1875: The accompanying Illustration is a sketch of a building about to be erected in Albion Street from plans prepared by Mr. Edward Birchall, of Leeds. The front part consists of two shops on groundfloor, with an entrance for the deaf and dumb to their Institute over. One shop is for the sale of baskets, brushes, &c., made by the blind, upon extensive premises to be built behind and two storeys high. The other shop will be to let off, with fine cellar accommodation. The Institute for the Deaf and Dumb consists of a large room 54 feet by 24 feet, divided by removable screens into class-rooms and library. Adjoining are cloak-rooms and lavatories for the males. A large house at present on the premises is to be adapted and accommodated to schoolrooms for blind children and other purposes. The cost of alterations and new buildings will be a little over 5,0007.