From The Architect, December 11, 1875: This house is being built from the designs of Messrs. Adams & Brown, architects, Stockton- on-Tees, and is situate at Preston, on ground sloping to the south near the river Tees. The south is the principal elevation, and commands an extensive view towards the Cleveland Hills. The materials used in the building are white bricks and stone dressings.
Coach-houses, stables, and other buildings have already been built on the ground, and it is proposed to build a lodge at the entrance to the grounds, when the house is completed. The whole of the work, excepting the brickwork, is being carried out by local contractors, under the personal supervision of the architects.