1876 – Post Office, Waterford
Designed by the relatively unknown James Ryan, who may according to some historians have spent time in the Board of Public Works, or possibly by E.T. Owen of the board, Waterford Post Office has a grimness often associated with workhouses and places of detention. It was originally the Custom House. The building is acutely asymmetrical with a strong diagonal emphasis created by the rising row of arched windows.