Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1878 – New House, Greenhill Estate, Hampstead, London

Architect: Theodore K. Green

0177

Published in The Building News, November 8 1878: “This building, which is being completed from the designs and under the superintendence of Mr. Theodore K. Green, architect, of 22, Finsbury-place, is situated on the brow of a rather steep incline, and commands extensive views over the surrounding country. The house has a substantial comfortable appearance, not always met with in suburban buildings. The external walls are faced with Luton bricks, the window and door dressings being of Portland stone, the whole built up with a cavity in its thickness of 2iin., which we are informed is the system generally adopted by Mr. Green on this estate. The special feature in the arrangement of ground plan is that the principal entrance is kept nearly level with the road, with a porch and good vestibule, from which stone steps lead up to the hall and reception- rooms. A convenient serving-room and pantry, with lift and servants’ stairs, are placed next the dining-room. The joiner’s work of ground floor and the staircase is in wainscot, the remainder in pitch pine and selected yellow deal, slightly stained and varnished. The stabling, which is at the lower end of garden, is of rather peculiar arrangement, necessitated by the sudden fall of ground about 12ft. To obviate this difficulty the stabling for four horses, with harness-room, has been placed at about the natural level of ground, and the coach, house over them, with level entrance from road- way, a sloped way to stables being provided for horses. The contractors are Messrs. Eoberts, of Islington.”