1878 – Vestry Hall, Hampstead, London
Hampstead Town Hall began life as the Vestry Hall of Hampstead Parish.
From The Building News, November 15 1878. “The building is faced with red Bracknell bricks, having dressings of Portland stone, the roofs being^covered with the Broomhall Company’s brown tiles. Facing Belsize-avenue, on the north side, is a tower, which contains the side staircase, and the cisterns, with side-entrance door. The principal entrance is in the centre of the east front, facing towards Haverstook-hill, and is approached by a broad flight of steps. In dimensions the building is about 90ft. deep, and 64ft. wide. It comprises a basement story, containing kitchens, supplied with a lift and other conveniences, muniment and store-rooms, and a residence for the hall-keeper. On the ground floor, to the left of the entrance hall, stands the large hall for the meetings of the vestrymen, and to the right are the offices for the parish surveyor, while a broad corridor communicates with a spacious and well-lighted central staircase. Conveniently grouped for access and economy of space, the several business offices of the parish are placed around the staircase, giving accommodation for the vestry clerk’s offices, the burial board, medical officer of health, superintendent registrar, with waiting-room, retiring-room for vestrymen, and strong room. The side entrance also communicates directly with the principal staircase.”