Architect: George Lethbridge
Illustration published in The Building News, September 12th 1879. George Lethbridge was born in 1847 or 1848. He served his articles with William Henry Reid of Plymouth and commenced independent practice in London in 1870. George died on 27 February 1924 in Highgate, London.
“The walls are of red brick, the mullions, transoms, and heads of windows of moulded Doulting stone, the cornices, plinths, &c., of moulded red brick, and the panels of carved red brick. The screen in hall and windows of porch and staircase, and upper portions of windows of drawing, dining-rooms, and library, and principal bedrooms, are glazed with stained- glass in leaded lights, the other windows being glazed with plate-glass. The roofs are covered with Broseley tiles, with red terra-cotta ridges and terminals. The hall, and the borders of the reception-rooms are laid with parqueterie. The porch and entrance-hall are to be laid with tesselated pavement. Great care has been taken in the sanitary arrangements, both as regards drainage and water supply, a separate serwice being provided for drinking purposes. The house contains, on the ground-floor, hall, draw- ing-room, and library, communicating by sliding- doors, and dining-room, lavatory, cloak-room, and w.c, servants’ -hall, serving-pantry, china- closet, and usual domestic offices. In the basement, ample cellar accommodation is provided. The upper floors are approached by two stair- cases, the principal one being constructed of pitch-pine and polished oak, and comprise seven good bed-chambers, day and night nurseries, bath-room, and two dressing-rooms, box-room, w.c, and linen closets. The mantel-pieces are to be of polished wood. The house has been planned with the view of adding, at a future time, billiard-room, with bedrooms over, and conservatory, thus completing the original plan. The house occupies an attractive and well- timbered site, commanding extensive views.”