Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
mythumbnail

1879 – Schools, Temperance Town, Cardiff

Architect: George E. Robinson

0002.jpg

Perspective including ground floor plans as published in The Building News, October 10th 1879. “Within the past four years the School Board of the Borough of Cardiff have erected certain school buildings in various parts of the town. One of these has already been illustrated in our pages. We now publish a second in order to show the substantial and sensible character of building adopted. In obtaining plans, &c., for their various schools, their procedure has been somewhat different from the general practice of public competition with its almost equally prevalent chicanery on one side, and deceit on the other. The board here have invited the four leading architects of the town to supply designs for, and carry into execution, one of their schools each, and may fairly adduce the different schools as proof of the wisdom of this policy. The schools now illustrated are from the designs of Mr. Geo. E. Robinson, architect, and have been carried out under his superintendence by Messrs. D. J. and D. Davies, contractors, Cardiff, at a total expenditure of £6,800, including all fittings and furniture. This .sum, in fact, represents the buildings completed, and ready for work. The general arrangement is that of a girls’ and infants’ school, with the usual class-rooms on the grouud-floor level, and boys’ school over that of the girls.”