Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1879 – Sedes Sapientiae (Training School) Baggot St., Dublin

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone
Architect: John L. Robinson

0005

In the early 1830s Catherine McAuley started training courses in the Baggot Street Convent to qualify able students who wished to become governesses or teachers in various schools throughout Ireland. When the principle of denominational training was accepted, the ‘Sedes Sapientiae’ (Seat of Wisdom) Training School in Baggot Street was recognised as a Teacher Training college for girls in 1883 and later transferred to Carysfort Training College, Blackrock, Dublin. Until then only 27% of Catholic teachers and 52% of Protestant teachers had graduated from training colleges.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

Read previous post:
1875 – St. Michael’s Hospital & Proposed Convent of Mercy, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson From The Architect, November 20, 1875: Thiis another charitable institution managed by the Sisters of Mercy...

Close