Architect: John Ladds
“The Boxmoor Schools, built at Two AVaters, for the Hemel Hempsted School-Boaid, are situated on a narrow-fronted site of steeply- sloping ground facing the open common, about half a mile from the railway-station, and some distance to the right on the road from the station to the town of Hemel Hempsted. They are built to accommodate 120 children in the mixed school and class-rooms, and 100 infants, of course, having separate entrances, with the necessary cloak-rooms, lavatories, .tc., and good playgrounds. There is a master’s house in the front, with large sitting-room, kitchen, scullery, pantries, &c., and three bedrooms over. The buildings were satisfactorily carried out by the late Mr. Joseph Harris, builder, of Great Berkhampsted, from plans prepared by and under the personal superintendence of Mr. John Ladds, architect, who won them in competition. The buildings are faced with Cowley stock bricks, and have red brick bands and arches, with hard stone sill and steps ; the roofs are open-timbered, ceiled to the under side of the rafters, and are covered on the outside with plain tiles from the yard of Mr. Franklin, Ampthill, Beds. ” Perspective view & ground plan published in The Building News, September 3rd 1880.