1880 – Commercial Sale Room Buildings, Liverpool, Lancashire
“This building, erected for the sale of fruit and provisions, comprises a sale-room built in the form of an amphitheatre, with gallery round three sides, over 40ft. square, occupying the S.E. angle of the site ; the frontages to the N. .and W. being adapted for offices occupied by the fruit-brokers. The basement is used far storing the samples of fruit, the samples being projected into the sale-room by means of hydraulic lifts. The fittings of the sale-room are of oak. The external face of the building is erected with a base of Shap granite. The dressings of Caen stone, the plain surfaces of the walls with specially made Ruabon brick 2in. thick. The walls of staircase and landing are lined with marble. The works have been carried out by Messrs. Haigh and Co., contractors, under the directions of the architect, Mr. J. F. Doyle, and Mr. Samuel Gunning, clerk of works. The hydraulic lifts, of which there are five, are from the well-known works of Sir William Armstrong and Co., Newcastle-on-Tyne.” Published in The Building News, November 12 1880.