1880 – Corner of Bute & Custom House Streets, Cardiff
“This block of buildings is now in course of erection for Mr. C. Kyte, on the corner of Bute and Customhouse streets, Cardiff. The site is part of the surplus land belonging to the Corporation of Cardiff through their last Improvement Act, whereby numerous old rookeries were demolished, and a fine new street opened, which will be, in a few years, one of the finest streets in the town. With reference to the materials, the lower part of the shops is to be built of Bath stone and Radyr-stone plinth ; the upper part is to be faced with white brick, relieved by red-brick cornices, string-courses, hood-mouldings, &c., from the Pencoed Brick and Tile Works; the bay-windows are constructed of Bath stone, with the exception of cornices, which are brick, and are supported by Aberdeen red granite columns. The contract has been let to Messrs. Jones Brothers, Cardiff, for £2,500. The architect is Mr. John P. Jones, Park- street, Cardiff.” Published in The Building News, August 20, 1880.