Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
mythumbnail

1880 – Cricket & Archery Pavilion, Beddington Park, Surrey

Architect: Joseph Clarke

0044

“This private pavilion, erected at a cost of over £3,000, stands in an enclosure of several acres in the midst of Beddington Park. It comprises, besides the covered verandah with raised seats in front, and railed round — a large dining hall with the proper culinary requirements at the rear, pantries, ice-well, etc. The ladies and gentlemen’ s dressing rooms, with lavatories, and water laid on, are on the ground floor, and wdth the dining hall are panelled and ceiled in pitch pine ; there are ranges of lockers, hanging- closets, and every requirement for comfort and use. ‘The furniture of the hall and throughout is solid and in character. The towers comprise smoking and store rooms, with large tanks supplied by force pumps for the purpose of watering by hose the cricket ground. There are beautiful views from these towers, over the park, with the river Wandle running through, and the surrounding country. There is a range of offices with convenient sheds for carriages and horses, besides arrangements for servants at the back of the pavilion. The building is constructed on a brick foundation with concrete under, having stone quoins, and the chimneys also in red brick, with solid timber framing filled in, combined with oak rustic work to the open verandah and elsewhere : the floors are planked ; the roofs are covered with Norfolk- reed. Everything has been carried out in the most substantial manner from the designs of Mr. Joseph Clarke, F.S.A., 13, Stratford-place. The builders were Messrs. Roberts, of Islington ; the clerk of works being the late Mr. Thos. Booth. The whole of the extensive ground is enclosed by oak park-paling. A lesser pavilion has also been erected from the designs of the same architect in a separate, but adjoining cricket ground in the park, for the village and other local clubs, having the usual arrangements, dressing rooms, offices, Sec. ” Published in The Building News, November 5 1880.