Architect: Mangnall & Littlewood
“These premises are situated at the corner of Market-street and Spring-gardens, Manchester, and form two distinct blocks of buildings. The corner block is recently completed, and belongs to G.B. Withington, Esq. ; it will be occupied on ground-floor for shops, the superstructure being let off for suites of offices, with a general entrance to Spring-gardens. The elevation is of Yorkshire stone, designed in Free Italian, the principal object in view being an abundancc of heiht, which is found so essential in town buildings. The first and second-pair floors have bay windows, which are obtained by splaying the main piers, and without projecting beyond the building-line, or otherwise infringing the Corporation by-laws. Grey granite is used to the pilasters to ground-floor, offices, entrance, and shafts to comer circular windows. The block to Spring-gardens has been erected about a year. It belongs to Messrs. Withington, Petty, and Boutflower, solicitors, and is occupied by them as offices, excepting the ground and basement floors, which are appropriated by Thompson’s oyster-rooms. This elevation is built of purpose-made stock-bricks and stone dressings, the details of which are treated in a similar manner to the other. The whole has been erected under the superintendence of Messrs. Mangnall and Littlewood, architects, Manchester” Perspective view published in The Building News, July 9th 1880.