Architect: Fred Chancellor
” The new building of the Reliance Mutual Life Assurance Society, illustrated by us this week, and including Xos. 70, 71, and 72, King William-street, City, at the corner of Clement’s-lane, has just been completed. The greater portion of the ground-floor is occupied by the Reliance Office, including the principal office, 37ft. by 28ft. by 17ft. high, the under-secretary’s room and messengers’ and waiting-rooms. The remainder of ground-floor is let to the National Fire Insurance Corporation. On the first floor are the Board and Committee, and Medical Officer’s rooms, with lavatories, &c., for the Reliance, and board-room for the National. The three upper floors are divided into offices, and the basement is divided into strong-rooms and clerks’ lavatories, w.c.’s, &c. The internal arrangements include a passenger hydraulic lift from top to bottom. The internal fittings of ground and first floor are of Spanish mahogany. Externally, a bold central doorway, divided, gives access, on the one hand, to the Reliance offices only, and, on the other, to the National, and other offices. The material used externally are red granite and stone. The architect is Mr. Fred.Chancellor, of S, Finsbury Circus, City, and the builders are Messrs. Perry and Co., of Bow.” Published in The Building News, July 23 1880.