“North Hall is the second portion of Newnham College, which has been built, the former part having been opened in 1877. The present building accommodates about 38 students, and is arranged for future extension. It was opened in Oct., 1880. The cost was about £10,000. Messrs. Bell and Sons, of Cambridge and Saffron Walden, were the contractors, and Mr. W. H. Williams clerk of works. Mr. Basil Champneys is the architect.” Perspective view published in The Building News, May 13th 1881.