“These offices occupy a commanding position at the comer of St. Nicholas-square and Colling-wood-street. The frontage is of rubbed ashlar, and the door case of dark-red granite. The company’s offices are on the ground-floor, with Strong-room, lavatory, clerks’ room, &c., in the basement. The remainder of the building is occupied by suites of offices, with a house for the caretaker at the top. The whole building work has been well executed by Mr. Robert Michell, of Newcastle, and the carving by Mr. G. Milbum, of York. Messrs. Austin, Johnson, and Hicks, of Newcastle, were the architects.” Published in The Building News, April 8 1881.