Part of a terrace in the west end of the New Town, Melvin House was built in 1883 by Sidney Mitchell for John Ritchie Findley, founder of “The Scotsman” newspaper. The building is more elaborate externally then many of the houses around it. It has an asymmetrical composition with two bays windows of different designs flanking an ornate carved wooden porch. Internally it has a fine hallway with a wooden screen and a double height square stairwell. Now an hotel.