1884 – Messrs. J. Hepworth & Son, Clothing Factory, Leeds, Yorkshire

Architect: W.S. Braithwaite


In 1864 Joseph Hepworth went into business as a tailor in Leeds. By 1881 the factory in Wellington Street employed 500 people and made complete men’s three-piece suits. In the 1880s they established shops to sell their suits direct to the public. The company existed until the 1980s when it renamed itself and its stores Next.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com