Architect: Solon S. Beman
Constructed of red granite, brick, and terra cotta at the corner of Adams and Michigan (across from the Art Institute), the Pullman Building was a massive and imposing structure of 10 stories with turrets and a light well. Described by the Chicago Tribune, “the design of the building would be a modification of the Norman round arched gothic, modernized and adapted to the peculiar purposes for which the building is intended, the main object being to give it an expression of dignified elegance in its simple massiveness.”
The Pullman Building was designed for multiple use: the first floor for stores dealing in light merchandise, the second and third floors for Pullman offices, the fourth and fifth floors for Army Headquarters of the Division of the Missouri and for telephone company offices (Chicago Telephone Company and Central Union Telephone Company are noted in the floor plans), and the sixth floor for general office space. Beman’s architectural offices were on the fifth floor. The seventh, eighth, and ninth floors were reserved for residence suites of two, three, and four rooms, with private bath room, closet, hot and cold water for each.
The Pullman Building was demolished and replaced in 1958 with the Borg-Warner Building.