Architect: W.H. Lynn
Designed by W.H. Lynn after an architectural competition held in 1882, the building was completed in 1888. A monumental red sandstone building, the Library has a fine central domed reading room reached by a large ceremonial staircase. The runner-up design was produced by Maxwell & Tuke of Manchester – and was published in The Building News, November 30th 1883.