Architect: Hermann J. Schwarzmann
In March 1873, an act of the Pennsylvania State Legislature set in motion plans for the construction of Memorial Hall to be designed by Hermann J. Schwarzmann, which was to serve as the art gallery of the exposition. At the end of the Centennial celebrations, Memorial Hall was to remain open as a Museum of Art and Industry “for the improvement and enjoyment of the people of the Commonwealth.” A massive classical design. it is constructed of pure Minnesota dolomite, with glazed blue roof tiles embellished with polychrome finials and pediments. Covering ten acres of ground, it contains over 200 galleries.