Designed by architect Bruce Price, the Château Frontenac was one of a long series of “château” style hotels built for the Canadian Pacific Railway company at the end of the 19th and the start of the 20th century. It opened in 1893. The railway company sought to encourage luxury tourism and bring wealthy travelers to its trains.
The Château Frontenac was named in honour of Louis de Buade, Count of Frontenac, who was governor of the colony of New France from 1672 to 1682 and 1689 to 1698. The Château was built not too far from the historic Citadelle, whose construction Frontenac had begun at the end of the 17th century. The building is the most prominent feature of the Quebec City skyline as seen from across the St. Lawrence, and is a symbol of the city.